Monday, October 23, 2006

This was supposed to be a daily thing

I started this blog to promote creativity, the idea was that people would read it and think I was a genius and leave all manner of comments and praise thus inspiring me to write more and more and with an overwhelming momentum behind me I would be propelled into a literary career sure to dazzle and sparkle and yet puzzle and befuddle at the same time.

The dream has died. My blog is almost untouched and virtually unread. I think and glorify everyday the position of a writer and how romantic it would be to hole myself up in a small room for weeks on end with nothing but a typewriter and walls made of literature. I always marvel at how writer's, such antisocial beings, manage to produce such sharp indictments of the modern world; surely it has to be pure genius. More likely than that though is the power of words. If it is a printed source do I take it to be truth? To what lengths do I evaluate the writer's opinion? Perhaps such a critical rethinking is a bad thing, I mean it largely just produces mountains of critics and few appreciators (something we seem to have these days).

The problem lies in our desire to snatch glory for ourselves (when I say our I mean my, and when I say ourselves I mean myself). Through being a critic rather than something proactive (a critic is reactive) we are able tear down an upheld value or piece or achievement in a hope of placing something of our own in that place, there is of course use in being a critic (such as maintaining a quality or fostering progress) but this I think has died in my generation and in it's place is a clawing, desperate golem with green eyes.

What do I ever say? Nothing, the answer is nothing. Ever.

2 comments:

Dan said...

oh shit. don't tell me i'm the only one who reads this... but even if i am, i for one am very glad to. because it consistently amazes me. so if you need an ego rub down to thrust you into a career of pen on paper, maybe this wasn't such a good idea. but if there was, is and always will be a writer in you... i think you're well on your way...

marky-marc (no funky bunch please) said...

no, no - i totally read this. its soo much easier than actually stalking you. besides now i snapshots into your head and not just every-room in your house. (dyou know how fuckn expensive 24-hour surveillance is?)

All jokes aside - You have amazing cadance and an ability to paint - not just images - but sound, texture, rythm and a deep unrelenting sadness that cuts deep.

Oh, and speaking as a critic of sorts - yeah, we're reactive, it doesnt make it any less relevant or creative.

Seriously - i look forward to your writing - so get crackin biatch.