Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Inspiration

There are times when you simply lack motivation or ideas and you just cannot bring yourself to write, right now is one of those times. So, in an effort for inspiration I sometimes use a dictionary to find a random word, which then gives me an opportunity to write on a topic.

My word is "MODERNISM"; really. I cannot believe I got modernism. I have to write an essay on fundamentalism as a reaction to modernism and I am also reading a few books on the idea of modernism, so I guess this blog will have to serve as a precursor to work I should be investing in.

Descartes is often described as the father of modern philosophy (and modern mathematics) and in terms of epistemology (the science of knowledge, how we know things) he proposed an absolutism that typically characterises modernism. He set out to find 'first principles' that is, indisputable knowledge on which we can build Truth (yes, capital T) consequently in this search for Truth he was led to the famous maxim: "I think, therefore I am". Today, at least in the last six or seven decades this absolutism has been eroded, at least at a scholarly level. A new epistemological understanding is taking shape, one largely proposed by those crafty, crafty French.

I cannot believe modernism was the word I got, it makes for a horribly boring blog. I am going to change the word then, to "MODEM", I didn't pull it from a dictionary, instead there is one right in front of me.

Modem o, modem, that is all I have got. Nighty night.

No comments: