Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Three styles, all done badly

I would be a person as well. Religious conviction has laid me low and transformed my opinion. I am the stereotype and not the archetype. It is strange how Christians are regarded as less human; as not having had to deal with life. In some ways I can see how this is right but in others I grow frustrated because my own wrestling with Christianity is not seen as legitimate within or without the Church. In this way I find the Church wildly ungracious and if it were not for Jesus I'd probably give the whole thing in.

Last night I drove an hour with my girlfriend to visit an old friend of mine. We had a great night together- eating dinner and telling stories and being together. For some reason there was never that awkward air that seems to attach itself to me and the way I relate with everybody else. We drove to dinner in the one car and put on Cansei De Ser Sexy's "Let's Make Love and Listen to Death From Above" and danced in true Sao Paulo style; it was wonderful.

On a completely different note I have now come to think that marketing is perhaps the most evil of all corporate devices. The whole machine of marketing is driven in order for people to be unhappy. In capitalism, in order to keep everybody busy, there is massive overproduction of goods; so, somehow those goods have to be used (at least for some time) and the only way to keep it true to capitalism is sell them. To sell them though you need to create a need- a market. This involves making people feel as though they are unsatisfied or unhappy with their lives without that product. As we weary on though our lives become more and more meaningless with our ever- increasing amount of stuff. Therefore whether marketing only creates need or creates and fulfills it, it only succeeds in propagating the unhappiness that is rife within the capitalism ethic of 'more'.

No comments: