Tuesday, June 16, 2009

I am None




Bodyboarders used to be my heroes; as a kid growing up in south west WA nobody was cooler. However something happened and I saw that the bodyboarding mind was closed and the culture they had created seemed stagnant and; well crude.

Until last week; it had been years since I picked up a copy of Riptide or any bodyboarding mag at all but since I have had a renewed passion for the sport (thanks to my new NMD board; but no thanks to the agro pinheaded stick monkeys out at island on Saturday) I thought I would; and it surprised me.

I had long forsaken bodyboarding culture as a microcosm of us vs them mentality and a creative vacuum; oh how I was wrong. The current riptide issue is brimming with interesting ideas and raw passion.

Case in point: I am None. I never imagined to see a decent fashion label with solid fringe support from artists and photographers emerge from the bodyboarding scene. Yet they did and a bodyboarder is once again a hero of mine: Alex Bunting you are the man.

No comments: